Part Five, Entry 1: Epoch of Laodicea - Pangs of the Apostate Church in Modernity

PLEASE CHALLENGE MY BLOG ENTRIES WITH PRAYER & TAKING THE TIME TO STUDY, RESEARCH, AND COMPARE MY WORDS TO THE WORD OF GOD, THE BIBLE. 

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.  2 Timothy 2:15 



St. Judas Thaddaeus from Christ and the Apostles, 1519. By Hans Baldung


For this series of blogs entries, I am writing directly to today’s church in the spirit of Jude and his epistle (letter) to the first century church.

When I was 12 or 13 years of age, for reasons I did not fully understand nor could properly express at that time in my life, I felt drawn to and a special connection to the message Jude wrote to the church. And now as I reflect on that time in my life as a mature servant of Christ; I can see how Jude’s letter was the seed God planted in me, allowed to grow, and now is using its fruit in my life.

I remember writing and signing a contract to God one afternoon on a piece of yellow ruled legal paper in my bedroom at my grandparents’ house, making an oath to be a messenger of God’s Word like Jude, and now I believe, the Holy Spirit has called me to fulfill that contract and oath I made so many years ago. (Side note: I believe that contract I made with God is still at my grandparents’ in the attic.)

What did Jude write to the first century church that captured me, and how does it relate to the church today?

Jude 1:3-7 (NKJV)

3 Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.

4 For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into lewdness and deny the only Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ.

5 But I want to remind you, though you once knew this, that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.

6 And the angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day;

7 as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

When I first read Jude, I was fascinated with the entire letter, but the verses that stayed with me for all these years are verses 3 & 4 – “(3) Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. (4) For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into lewdness and deny the only Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ.”

Like I had stated earlier, I did not fully understand nor explain why this specific book in the Bible, and more specifically, verses seemed to had been imprinted on my mind, my soul, my spirit for more than 40 years. But now in 2020, I believe the Holy Spirit has revealed what He wants me to know, and now is the time for me to share His message to the twenty first century church.

I ask that when you read my entries, and read and view the articles and video footage I will post, that they are not seen through the lens of politics or political partisanship, or as liberal or conservative, but to challenge it with the word of God. And if there is ANYTHING you believe is not in line with God’s word, please respectfully share your thoughts and opinions with me along with supporting scripture.

Lastly, before I get into what I will be sharing, I want each of you to know when I speak about or say church, I am using the word in the broadest sense, and that I am not casting a net upon the entire church. The one exception; it is important as servants of Christ, that we as both individuals and church, (re)examine ourselves using the light of God’s truth.

2 Corinthians 15:5 (NKJV)

5 Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified.

I know with myself, I have had to do this because I have hid things in the shadows, but with prayer and fasting (Matthew 17:20-21), I have asked for forgiveness (Acts 26:18), wisdom and revelation (Ephesians 1:17), and guidance (John 14:26) to be a better witness for Christ. 


EPOCH OF LAODICEA:

seven-churches-of-revelation, source biblestudy.org


For this entry I will focus on what Jesus said about the Laodiceans, how it relates to Jude’s message to the first century church, and the church in the end times.

In Revelation chapter 2 & 3, Jesus gives apostle John a (prophetic) message (Revelation 1:9-20) concerning the seven churches in Asia Minor (modern day Turkey) in a vision; the churches are the church in Ephesus (The Loveless Church), the church in Smyrna (The Persecuted Church), the church in Pergamos (The Compromising Church), the church in Thyatira (The Corrupt Church)[1], the church in Sardis (The Dead Church), the church in Philadelphia (The Faithful Church), and the church in Laodicea (The Lukewarm Church).[2]

When Jesus speaks about the seven churches, the church in Laodicea is the only one He mention that have neither faith or love in Him, but instead have (re)placed their faith and love with selfishness and love of money.

Revelation 3:14-22 (NKJV)

14 “And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write, ‘These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God:

15 “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.

16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.

17 Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked—

18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.

19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be [m]zealous and repent.

20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.

21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.

22 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” ’ ”

In apostle Paul’s first letter to Timothy, he speaks about the same issues Jesus prophetically tells apostle John about the church in Laodicea, but to the first century church in Ephesus.

1 Timothy 6:1-10 (KJV)

1 Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.

2 And they that have believing masters, let them not despise them, because they are brethren; but rather do them service, because they are faithful and beloved, partakers of the benefit. These things teach and exhort.

3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;

4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,

5 Perverse disputing of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.

7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.

8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.

10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

So, what does the actual first century church in Laodicea and the symbolic end times Laodicean church have in common? To answer this question, it is important to first go to the evening during the Last Supper when Jesus promised His apostles that after His death, resurrection, and ascension to heaven, He would not leave them alone, and promised that the Spirit of truth, the Holy Spirit would be with them (John 14:15-18, Acts 1:4-5).

John 14:15-18 (NKJV)

15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments.

16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever—

17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.

18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.

Acts 1:4-5 (NKJV)

4 And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, “which,” He said, “you have heard from Me;

5 for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”

Then in Jerusalem on the Day of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit came to the apostles (Acts 2:1-4).

Acts 2:1-4 (NKJV)

1 When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting.

3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them.

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

The baptism of the Holy Spirit marked a special moment, not only in the lives and ministries of the apostles, but for all of us throughout the centuries who was not physically with Christ nor witnessed His ministry (John 20:29).

John 20:29 (NKJV)

29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

With the Holy Spirit in our lives, He provides us with spiritual manifestation (Fruit of the Spirit) and vocations (spiritual gifts) to best serve and be of service for Jesus, the church, and all we witness to.

What are the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) and spiritual gifts (Ephesians 4:11; Romans 12:6-8; 1 Corinthians 12:8-10, 28-31)?


FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT:

Galatians 5:22-23 (ESV)

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

 

SPIRITUAL GIFTS:

Ephesians 4:11 (NKJV)

11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers,

Romans 12:6-8 (NKJV)

6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith;

7 or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching;

8 he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.

1 Corinthians 12:8-10 (NKJV)

8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit,

9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit,

10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.

1 Corinthians 12:28-31 (NKJV)

28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.

29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles?

30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?

31 But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.


In my next entry, I will explain how all this relates to the church in Laodicea and today’s church, but till then, I want to ask that you set aside any political or religious partisanship and bias, respectively, you may have, and honestly reflect on God’s word, how the church has been conducting itself, and is or may be perceived by both non-believers and believers.

_______________________________________________________

Here is the sinner’s prayer if you are moved to give your life to Christ, and please send me an email if you would like me to say a prayer for you –

Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner, and I ask for Your forgiveness. I believe You died for my sins and rose from the dead. I turn from my sins and invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to trust and follow You as my Lord and Savior. In Your Name. Amen.”

_______________________________________________________

Leni D. Anderson BA ArtH., MLIS, MA in Apologetics & Cosmogony (candidate), Regent University School of Divinity. 

________________________________________

[1]   Bible Hub, 2004-2020. Revelation, chapter 2, New King James Version. Glassport, PA. https://biblehub.com/nkjv/revelation/2.htm

[2] Ibid. Chapter 3, https://biblehub.com/nkjv/revelation/3.htm

Comments